Aimless But True Ramblings

These are the aimless, but true ramblings in this person's "so-called life."

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

"I envy them their public love. I myself have only known it in secret, shared it in secret and longed, aw longed to show it--to be able to say it out loud what they have no need to say at all: That I have loved only you, surrendered my whole self reckless to you and nobody else. That I want you to love me back and show it to me. That I love the way you hold me, how close you let me be to you. I like your fingers on and on, lifting, turning. I have watched your face for a long time now, and missed your eyes when you went away from me. Talking to you and hearing you answer--that's the kick.

But I can't say it aloud; I can't tell anyone that I have been waiting for this all my life and that being chosen to wait is the reason I can. If I were able I'd say it. Say make me, remake me. You are free to do it and I am free to let you because look, look. Look where your hands are. Now." -Jazz, Toni Morrison



This is and forever will be my favorite passage of any book--this conclusion to Toni Morrison's Jazz. Toni Morrison is a genius, and if you've read the book, and fully understand this passage you would know why.

She is my hero of the day.