Aimless But True Ramblings

These are the aimless, but true ramblings in this person's "so-called life."

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Why is it that in my IH class, when people do a presentation on WEB DuBois, they feel like they are walking on eggshells when speaking, because a black kid in that class claims he "knows everything about the civil rights movement." Ok, I'll give him that he knows more than most because in high school he went through that Back to Africa program for African American men, but because he is black, does that mean he has more right than anyone else to speak on the subject? No.

I say this because he was not there. He wasn't a slave, he wasn't alive during the Civil Rights Movement, and just because he is black, does not make him superior in the knowledge of these topics. He does not need to sit there with a look of boredom on his face, or criticize under his breath while white people talk about WEB DuBois.

Oh no, she said it. Yes, you're damn right I said it. I am so sick and tired of black people pulling out the victim card everytime they give a speech in class. I'm sorry if I sound like a bigot, but it is not my fault that slavery happened, or that you were denied the right to vote for hundreds of years. I was not there.

However, if we are going to pull out the victim card, I'll pull out mine too. As a woman, I was denied the right to vote for hundreds of years as well. As a descendant of Irish immigrants, I too was discriminated against in the work place with the "Irish need not apply signs," and beaten down on the streets. Finally, as a descendant of the Arapaho Native Americans, I had my land taken away from me from white people, and forced to live in subhuman conditions. So you see, I am in the same position you are. What are you going to do now?

See how ridiculous it is? I thought so.