Aimless But True Ramblings

These are the aimless, but true ramblings in this person's "so-called life."

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Election day is the only day of the year that I feel as if I am truly an American. Seeing the list of states and their percentages always made me feel connected to the other 49 states in the country.

So, voting is incredibly easy. I went in--no line, and pushed my buttons and I was finished. It took me 5 minutes. While I was leaving a young black man was coming out shouting, "I made a difference!" As I was walking up the path he said, "Yeah, go make a difference!" and high fived me. That I think is a huge difference from four years ago when not many black men voted. In my sociology class we learned that they don't because a) they don't care, or b) they were in jail or were convicted felons in the past, and the right to vote was taken away from them. I'm glad that at least those that fall into the a) category care now.

As much as I hate it, I give mad props to P Diddy for that. 20 million strong, it is we, the 18-30 year olds that will change this election. The next time there is someone running for president they will think twice before overlooking us in their target speeches.